Friday, June 02, 2006

Atmosphere

I was born by the sea, with the fragrant rocky hills of Provence at my back, so I will never be properly home on the flatlands. Nevertheless, two years in Saskatchewan has taught me a new appreciation for sky. I never felt this in Calgary, perhaps because I was too absorbed in misery to notice, but more likely because I was not yet a runner.

Running on the flat prairie with nothing between me and the infinite blue, the ground seems to melt away and it feels like flying. Whole weather systems form and travel and change their minds before my eyes. Most entertaining are the smotheringly hot days of summer, when the cumulonimbus gather slowly into towering green monsters and I do the sensible thing and get to the car just as the first fat drops sizzle on the hood.

Bear in mind, I only have these atmospheric epiphanies in the summer - in winter I mostly tuck my chin down and think "Dear God, what I wouldn't give for a terrain feature to block this freaking wind." Then I go inside to go nowhere on the treadmill and watch The View, trying not to laugh at the funny bits, because apparently it is considered gauche and just a little freaky to giggle to oneself on the treadmill. Especially at daytime television.

-------------------------------
Remember the summer top I was knitting for my DD? At her request, it morphed into a skirt. With a purple waistband:
I am very pleased with the casing, which is just awaiting elastic now (either buried in the debris of my studio, or in another of the mysterious "miscellanous" basement boxes). I unvented (Elizabeth Zimmerman's term for discoveries that you are pretty sure can't be brand new, but you made them yourself, nonetheless) the technique:

What I did: Purled one round to make the folded edge, then knitted a few more rounds until the casing looked wide enough. Then, slip the next stitch onto the right needle, pick up a purl loop in the appropriate round with the right needle, slip the left needle into the two from left to right (exactly like an SSK) and knit them together. Then I slipped the previous stitch over the one just knitted to bind it off. This made a very tidy seam / bound off edge. I left the last few stitches unattached, to leave room to insert the elastic, particularly since I imagine I may have to readjust it as she grows.