Friday, April 28, 2006

Book Frenzy

In a little over five months, my DH is retiring from the Canadian Forces (at 43!) and we are going to "live the dream" and move to Whistler. To an 800 square foot 2 bedroom apartment. With our two kids, our Irish wolfhound and the cat. It will be wonderful for so many reasons - the climate, the natural beauty and outdoor athletics, the opportunity to purge our lives of clutter and unecessary possessions (the stash is NOT in this category), the blessed relief of not being looked on as freaks for eating organic food, attachment parenting and engaging in artistic pursuits. But.... we will be living on his small pension and whatever I (choose to) bring in from my burned out can't stand another minute of it but don't know exactly what I want to do next profession.

Which brings me to the point of this post - knitting books. I figure whatever resources I can't live without for the next few years have to be bought in the next three months. Yarn - well, that will have to go in the monthly budget, because the land of milk and honey know as the West Coast actually has such wonders as LYS's and organic sheep farm hippie commune things where they grow their own plant dyes and spin barefoot in the sunshine of the Gulf Islands while performing tantric yoga. Of course the down side with books is that knitters keep writing new ones that we can't live without (not mentioning any names) but I figure a basic library would be a good thing to have. I already have a few, but to round out the collection here is my final (ha!) wish list (bearing in mind that my DH reads my blog daily from work and was until now, blissfully unaware of my plans):


It's only $1.99 (why is this, I wonder?) And I already meditate (see yesterday's post), so it just seems like a good idea.








I've been eyeing this book for a while, but after reading some excellent reviews and checking out her website, I think I must have it. It appears to be funky, innovative AND fashionable (ie not shapeless.)









My daughter would LOVE these for Christmas. And we could have such fun inventing outfits for them together / teaching her to knit.









Because I don't own any EZ books and also the Harlot made me want the pattern for the baby surprise jacket.








Because the majority of my extended family has no interest in or appreciation of hand knitted garments but I still feel I ought to knit for them anyway.








Would I wear a mohair bikini? I dunno. It looks to have some cute stuff in it and DH will likely be appeased by the possibilities suggested by the cover.








That's all. For now.