Monday, July 17, 2006

Thirty-two

days until the big move, and only 2 1/2 more weeks in the office. I'm counting down the latter even more assidiously than the former now, because my partner is on holidays for the next two weeks (well-earned, I might add) which means an exponential increase in paperwork, hospital work, and general fire putting out.

I decided that if I'm going to design that black silk dress in time, I'd best get on with some swatching. I started with inexpensive wool, just to get a handle on some cable patterns:

Then moved on to the silk noil - so far, so good:


Ah, but wait for it. Know what this is?

It's a scale model of the bum print that will protrude ever so unfashionably when we finish dinner and stand for the toast to the Queen.
Fetching, no? This stuff is like playdough:
Even more disconcerting, it has all the tensile strength of playdough. Once again, proving that You Get What You Pay For. I can't believe how long it takes me to learn that. My reasoning went along these lines: I haven't designed a dress before, so I don't want to spend $250 on really nice silk just in case it doesn't work out. So I spent $60 - and now have 11 skeins of crap. (I'm sure I'll use it for something, someday, but most definitely not a dress.)