Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Cheap Cashmere?

I came across this article via the Worsted Witch. (A fascinating blog I would never have found if Juno hadn't linked it some time ago.) The article discusses the horrific environmental toll on China's grasslands, as goat herders respond to North America's insatiable demand for cheap cashmere. It got me thinking about the yarns I have used with bits of cashmere content, and where that might come from. The downside to inexpensive yarn (perhaps inexpensive anything?) is the abusive practices that are sometimes the means of keeping costs down. It did make me resolve to think more carefully about where my fibre comes from - and I'll be avoiding cheap cashmere in future. (Though not throwing away the small amount already in my stash - that would serve no purpose.)