Monday, April 10, 2006

Birthday madness


Catrionagh's 6th birthday went over very well and a good time was had by all. Best of all, since we hosted it (most uncharacteristically, since we never eat there) at the local fast food chain, we didn't have to buy new carpets or repaint our walls at the end. For the record, blue food coloring stains magnificently. I wonder how it compares to Kool-Aid? I made a knitting bag last year out of unspun undyed wool I picked up at Value Village 10 years previously - dyed it with blue Kool-Aid and felted it. The color was nice, but it smelled fruity for months.

Not a whole lot of knitting got done yesterday, but I did unwind by finishing the crocheted flower waistband to the soothing strains of Ladysmith Black Mambazo. This is wonderful knitting music - rhythmic acapella that just sweeps you away to a happier place. I first discovered this group when I spent 3 months in South Africa on a med school elective; oddly, the first time I saw them perform live was many years later in Victoria when we lived on Vancouver Island.